I'm okay.

"Hi," I say again. After we exchange hellos I ask, "How are you?"
"Fine," he says but he doesn't look so fine.
And it's been almost a whole week since I last saw him.
And he probably thinks little of this entire situation.
He's probably had a bad day and it just got worse.
Now me? "Honestly [?] kinda miserable," without thinking at all
About the words we already exchanged is the question I ask again "How are you?"
I stare into the distance, beyond his left shoulder and over
Beyond the future streets, road blocks, whatever it was
Behind lots of parked cars, beneath blown lamps
Once covered tree branches now bare they drop leaves and
Management left the building grounds cluttered
And now like you and me, like this line
and cracks separate is this cement block of sidewalk adjacent
There you stand on like a river
Like traffic we take signals as demands.
"I gotta go," suddenly I heard him
So lost in the distance that I forgot you the one minutes I was close again
But like the leaves I am catching on again to be reborn of the ground
I was already taken aback, stuck in gusts
The wind picked me up and carried me safely
Above us, our slow deaths, my laughter and your smiling
Which I so badly want to forget.
Blown over, fall to pieces and been there done that.
I wish you;d remind me, remember.
We knew nothing but trust in this anyhow.

No comments:

Post a Comment